Thursday, January 16, 2014

To Where Mine Thoughts Fly



Ah, the joys of travelling.

I deal with jet lag as badly as the next guy. I just so happen to be one of the laziest people you’d have ever been unfortunate enough to meet. And being as lazy as I am, over the years I have perfected the art of milking every opportunity I get to stretch my feet out and plant myself in front of a screen.

A long trip? Heh heh.


So you took two days to recover from that flight. Wow. Must have been brutal. Me get back after taking the same trip? You wouldn’t catch me stepping out of the house for a week. Unless mum threatens to repossess the laptop if I don’t leg it to the store on her whim or my phone runs out of credit and I’m out of backup recharge cards. Those don’t count. No, they don’t.

Up to about a couple of months ago, I used to make this weekly commute every weekend, and each trip would take roughly three hours. I’d stay overnight Fridays and Saturdays and be back home by midnight Sunday. You guessed it; I wouldn’t budge out of bed till midday Tuesday. Sue me, opportunities like that are hard to come by. Especially for me.




It’s roughly a forty five minute bus journey from my home to the town, and given the chance, I’d demand time off for recuperation every time I get home after some time out. But that wouldn’t work. Simple reason, mum has to make that trip on a regular basis as well, and she deals with jetlag pretty efficiently, God bless her. I could try pretending to pant and wheeze my way to my room but she’d call my bluff without skipping a beat. So in short, I relished the opportunities the weekly commute bestowed upon my grasping hands.


I have a feeling you are judging me right now, so be it. Something tells me you are the tiniest bit jealous, too, for which I pardon your judgments. Okay, yes, I could do much more productive stuff during that time rather than catching up on beauty sleep. But try looking at it my way: pretty soon I’m probably going to get a reluctant move into working life, and tell me, dear readers, when does one get a chance to stay in bed till 12pm on a Monday morning once you start working? (For the purpose of the above rhetorical question, please ignore the effects of national holidays)

What I’m trying to say is, I’d rather have fewer regrets than none if I ever live long enough to need a cane. And alright, fine, I’ll admit it, that was just a fancy way of saying I was too lazy to be more productive. There, I said it.


People deal with passing time in different ways during the slow hours between point A and point B on any journey that takes more than sixty minutes. A lot of them read, I guess. I used to be one of them. Heck, I used to never leave home without a book at one point.

Anyway, that whole ‘reading on the bus/train/car’ thing fizzled out after I started beginning to get nauseous after a few pages. I read that it’s a common thing, something to do with the brain getting confused by your eyes fixed on the book and your peripheral vision telling you that your body is still, while the rest of your senses scream that you’re hurtling through space at sixty miles an hour. Motion sickness messed up with my favorite travelling pastime.

It was roughly four years ago that I started writing my first story. That wasn’t a planned thing; I just sat there with the pen and wrote whatever came out. I remember tearing off a sheet every so often because the story just kept meandering off somewhere and sticking itself deep into some random metaphorical rut. Halfway through this grueling task, I suddenly began to start thinking about where it was going, and where I wanted it to go. That’s when I first began to plan ahead.


The story still ended up crappy, but it was way better than what it might have been had I taken the impromptu approach till the very end. What does all this have to do with travelling, you’re probably wondering. Quite a bit. See, at that point, not only did I realize what I really wanted to do with life (cue “Lion King” theme music) but it also gave me something to do that I still do, to this very day.

I plan my stories ahead.

And I do it while travelling. (Wide grin)

I literally get my best ideas when I’m on the road. Right hand side window if possible, headphones on, cue action music, and then I relax and watch the swords clash and the arrows fly in my mind. Seriously, try it if you haven’t. Being an author is fun. And work never feels like work if you’re enjoying yourself.

I agree with whatever way you find to pass time when you travel. Yakking away with friends, eating, reading, music, origami, trying to ignore the obnoxious person who keeps constantly annoying you in the next seat, trying not to be conspicuous while staring at the person of the opposite gender who happens to be facing you from somewhere in the vicinity, whatever. But just once, try giving it a go. Sit back, relax, and think about a story YOU would like to write, characters YOU would like to see come to life.


After all, who can forget that J.K. Rowling thought out the plots of all seven books while on a train from Manchester to London? It took her four hours to come up with Harry Potter. Who knows what you can come up with?

Well, okay, fine, it might be a bit distracting when you’re in the latter of the examples given above. But willpower, friends, willpower. (Yeah, right. Pffffft. Go get back to your staring, pal. I’m sure the next Lord of the Rings can wait another day)


Sigh. I confess, I agree with you. Most of what you just read up there was a pile of tripe that lead from one detour to another to finally get to a point that could have been cleared up in a few paragraphs. But some wise man once said that it isn’t the destination that makes it worthwhile; it’s the journey. Interpret that quote whichever way you like, but I’m taking that opportunity to justify writing over seven hundred words to get to a point one paragraph long.

It isn’t the destination. It’s the journey. Think on that quote. It may just change the way you look at life. It did for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment