Wednesday, February 19, 2014

To Horizons That Beckon


This is the tenth post that I have published here since I began.

This is indeed a milepost if there ever was one.

(See what I did there? I could have said milestone since that’s what people normally call it, but I said milepost, because this is a post, and well… you know what, forget it)

It began at the beginning, and the beginning was on the 12th of January, a little over a month ago. Back then, I wasn’t sure what I was really doing, and what I wanted to write about. All I knew was that procrastinating wasn’t getting anything done for me, which, thank you, I know is a very astute observation on my part.

But a couple of weeks and three posts later, I still wasn’t entirely sure where I was going, and whether or not I should continue. Hits were dismal, and I was losing confidence. My best friend, N, kept urging me to keep writing, and even though the few other friends who knew about it didn't stop encouraging me, I wasn’t too sure whether or not I was wasting my time.


Still though, I kept pounding away at my keyboard, maybe through sheer determination and supreme will power. But knowing myself the way I do, I would probably bet it was just simply because I didn’t have anything else to do at the time. In all honesty, what must have happened was me going “Meh, what’s the worst that could happen?”



Whatever it was that kept me going, it was working, even through the sometimes crushing realization that probably no one out there even knew I existed. However, things changed dramatically just a week ago, when that something made me decide to bring Mathew Wordweaver on Facebook way earlier than I had originally intended to.


It proved to possibly be one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life.


I met you guys. I spoke to you, and for the first time, I had complete strangers telling me that my stuff was worth reading. I don’t know how to describe the feeling you gave me, all of you. I would name you all here, every single name, but there are too many to list. Each and every one of you beautiful people gave me the confidence I lacked, the direction I was searching for, the reason for what I was doing. It was exactly what I needed, and I am eternally grateful to you.


And from something less than even a hobby, this blog has ballooned up to become something very important to me. Now I have something to do besides qualifying and getting a job. I have a creative outlet that I have been keeping quiet for so long. Only time will tell where this will lead, and I can’t wait.


You might think I’m exaggerating things a little. After all, it’s just been ten posts, and that’s not a big deal at all, is it?

Thing is, though I had subconsciously planned it all, I wasn’t really sure that I would last ten posts. Without a clear audience, without clear direction, it was just a matter of time before this tiny boat would sink. You guys, you wonderful, awesome, amazing people, you changed all that.


A little more than a month since it began, and here I am, still going strong (for now at least…). I am writing this to you folks, and it has been my honor to have met each and every one of you. Thank you again for your help and support, and I hope you will always be there for me.



And so now I have direction, now I have a course to sail to. The winds are blowing my way, and I’m riding them to the horizon. See you guys when I get there.


4 comments:

  1. Ten posts is definitely a great reason to celebrate. To doubt yourself and still keep plugging away is one of the greatest things you can do. Be proud and be gentle on yourself for you have proven that you can withstand the biggest pressure of all writers: self doubt. Keep it up because it's an adventure I'd like to see you continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you, Sam. It's thanks to people like you that I've gotten this far. You guys are amazing

      Delete
  2. Keep it up!! :) Love the titles!! :D

    ReplyDelete