Monday, March 24, 2014

On The Whooshiness of Time


Well, would you believe it? Post number twenty. I made it, the big two-oh. Never would have guessed I’d be here gloatingly stating these words


Is it just me, or has the second ten whooshed by faster than the first? Certainly feels that way. It’s gotten easier since I started, certainly. And with all the encouragement I’ve had from all the awesome people I’ve met; I certainly don’t feel like stopping now.


And I stand by my claim that taking Mathew Wordweaver to Facebook is and probably always will be one of the best decisions I’d ever make. All the great people I’ve met and spoken to, well, it was worth it. And then the few close personal friends who know who the guy behind the mask is: you guys are awesome. You keep helping me do what I do, and man, I am grateful.


Looking back on all I’ve done now, I realize again what my pal N has been telling me is pretty much true; my work has improved since I began. No, I’m serious, and yes, I know that I am saying so myself, which you would probably think might be sort of narcissistic. No, I’m not a narcissist, and yes, I know I’m saying that myself, too, which would make you think I’m in denial. So no, I am definitely not in denial, and you know what, forget it, moving on.


Right now, I realize something that didn’t seem too obvious at the time; but all the stuff that I posted in January? Now I feel it was sort of an intro, about who I am, what I do, and what’s important to me.  That was me getting the feel of writing a blog, so to speak.



None of them are particularly good reads, I warn you, but they kind of tell you who I am and what I do. Like why being original is so important to me; where I get my best ideas (while travelling. Try it. Seriously); but with them were the ones that it would probably best of you ignore, like the Step Forward and Trials of One Who Wields a Pen. I’m a sentimental dude, which is what’s keeping me from deleting them; plus if I did, then I wouldn’t be at post number 20, now would I?


Well, we all have to start somewhere. (shrug)


In any case, I guess my true thing started out with the Slap of Victory; and it’s been going great ever since. Had I followed through with the promises I made in Step Forward, I’d probably have finished half of Charezahn now; but meh, let it come when it’s ready. It’s never any good to rush art, now is it?


On a side note, I’ve had a lot of comments from many people about my blog; and it’s always, always great to hear what you have to say, to know that you took the time to let me know what you think. Granted, not what I heard was positive, but I’m grateful, all the same.

One person suggested that I do stuff like book reviews and movie recommendations. Good idea, really. But as I told him, almost everyone else does that. If you’re looking for a review on a particular book, all you have to do is google it and you’ll probably find a heap of posts there about that book.

So it would be kind of pointless me doing the same, with all the others out there doing it as well; I’m trying to be different from the rest in my own way, and so far, I feel satisfied with how I’m going now. But still, I’m always open to suggestions, so if you want to say something, hit me with what you’ve got. It’s always awesome to hear from you.


Another suggestion was that I redesign my blog. This is something I realized a long time back and I’ve pondered over a lot. But see, I’m a bit different from most folks my age; I suck at web designing. I have previously found myself on some blogs and websites with too many links and stuff floating around; it felt like I was on holiday and took a wrong turn at an obscure side road. That’s when I close the tab and breathe a sigh of relief that I made it out in one piece.

I guess content is more important to me than the bells and whistles. I focus on posting something either meaningful, entertaining or informative every three to four days; if you like it, it’s my pleasure. And if you don’t like it, it’s no problem at all. No worries, I certainly won’t hold it against you if we strike a conversation.

So a simple, straightforward  page seems right for me; no complicated links leading here and there, but everything pretty much together.


Maybe you would agree with me, maybe not; in any case, I mean no offense to anyone. Each person has their own preferences, and what works for you. For now, simple and straightforward works for me. There’s a good chance I might redo the page and put in a few bells after all sometime in the future; but for now, what I have here seems to be working.


I have been called some very flattering things since I began. There was ‘funny,’; ‘intriguing,’ ; ‘thought provoking,’; and also ‘weird,’ and ‘boring,’. I don’t mind in the least; to each his own, like I said. But my personal favorite: ‘whimsical,’

 The guy who called me this really made my day; unconsciously, I guess it was what I was striving to be. And if one person thought I was, then it was worth it ^_^


Lastly, as I have said before, originality is something that is very, very important to me; and if there is one thing that offends me more than anything else, it’s being accused of plagiarism, or even stealing an idea from someone else. I write the way I want to read. Maybe I haven’t been searching the right places, but I haven’t found blogs that give me what I want: a bit of humor, a bit of medieval info, and above all, something I can look forward to reading while relaxing after a long day.

In the end, that’s is all I want my blog to be; not so much as promoting my future novels, but rather something that people come to of their own accord, knowing that there’s something they’re going to enjoy reading; not knowing what it’s going to be about, exactly, but looking forward to it all the same. That’s why I mix it up when I post; just to keep it interesting. And I’m not sure really how well it’s working out just so far, but I’m hoping for the best.

I have made twenty posts today, and now, you guys are here with me. The next ten seems like a breeze. It might have been hard at the start, but that’s behind me now, and I see open skies and clear seas ahead.

Onwards, keyboard!


2 comments:

  1. First of all Congratulations dude !!! Secondly ..no matter what anyone accuse you of ..if you improve an existing idea in your own way..and it being actually better than the original content will be an an achievement. Other than that , all ive got to say is KEEP IT COMING !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... every single comment i get means so much to me. it just shows that you guys are out there and this means something to you. Thank you :)

      Delete